Which Tire Is Most Aero?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Which Tire Is Most Aero?

Which Tire Is Most Aero? 5 years, 1 month ago #27081

• Neal
  • Platinum Boarder
Hello All,

The BTR poll with the same title got my interest in this age old question.

It appears the clinchers are gaining ground.

While clincher vs. tubie is a moving target it appear that the new Zipp clincher disk is being touted as the fastest wheel they have ever produced although a bit heavier (180g) than the tubie version. A price mentioned was $2375 - I could by a new car in 1950 for that price ...... Wow!!

The clincher tire seems to get some of the credit because of the better mating between the rim and the tire reducing turbulence.

www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Mavic_Wind_Tunnel_Challenge_2991.html

In the ad hoc competitive test above the Bonty A7 D3 wheels seemed to fare very well - perhaps partially because of the R4 clincher tires.

Cheers,

Neal

+1 mph Faster

www.view-speed.com

Re: Which Tire Is Most Aero? 5 years, 1 month ago #27083

• kraig
  • Administrator
Neal wrote:
A price mentioned was $2375 - I could by a new car in 1950 for that price ...... Wow!!

at 7% inflation, prices double roughly every 10 years...so that means that at 3.5% things double about every 20 years...using that heuristic new cars these days would be about $19k based on your provided $2375 number...not too far off from reality!

...which means that the fastest ever 2012 zipp disc in 1950 prices would have been about $300...would you have paid $300 for a disc wheel in 1950?

it should be noted that for frugal types (raising hand) one could procure a disc wheel on ebay for $300-$400 in 2012 dollars.
-kraig

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds

Poll

Which type of tire is more aerodynamic?